Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Loud whinning from clutch or brake at idle

Rob wrote at 2014-06-22 21:21:16
I just had the exact same problem on mine.  lound noise when blade not engaged and the noise goes away when blade engaged.  I too checked the bearing and it was pretty rough.  The bearing is removable from the blade holder.  It is a common size so no need to purchase bearing from honda.  The size is stamped into the bearing seal on one side (sorry I can't remember what it was).  Just go to an auto parts store or a good hardware store and get the same size bearing.  To remove the old one I put blocks of wood under bearing holder and pounded it out with a hammer.  To install the new one I put it in the freezer for about 3-4 hours to shrink it ever so slightly then I simply lined it up, put the outer race from old bearing over new one and gently pounded it in with a 2 pound hammer.  Probably not best method, but it worked.  Just avoid hitting the inner race of the new bearing when installing the new bearing or the bearing will be ruined.

In total it cost me $4.20 for the bearing and about 1/2 hour of my time.  Now it purrs like a kitten again.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology