Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda EB6500SX fuel solenoid

Question
Good afternoon. i have a honda EB6500SX that im having a small issue with. it was running fine with no issues up till about a week ago. it will run for a bit then stop. when it stoped and wouldnt start again i check the 3 sources. i have a good spark, the air filter is clean. im getting fuel to the carb. i pulled the fuel solenoid out cleaned it. i tested it with a 9 volt battery and it didnt retract the plunger. am i not testing it correctly? if i am then the obiously the soleniod is bad. Am i correct to understand that this only prevents back fireing? would it be out of the question to just not replace it and just plug the hole it came out of. I know im getting gas in the bowl with no issue that was appent when i pulled the solenoid. Any insight wout be apprecated. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Do you have the 2 wire fuel solenoid?  If your 9 volt battery is good you should be able to activate the solenoid...you might need to reverse the wires to be sure you have the polarity is correct to verify the solenoid is not working.

You are correct about the purpose of the fuel solenoid...prevent backfiring.  If you can find a screw with the proper threads you can just block off the hole...but the screw needs to be short.

I have seen some solenoids where the customer just cut off or removed the plunger...worked but sure looked weird.

Can you move the plunger in and out by hand?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones