Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/honda gcv 160

Question
I have a lawnmower (black max brand) with a Honda gcv 160 motor.  It has the arcs choke, flywheel brake, fixed throttle.  It will not start.  It is not getting fuel to the head, but the float bowl is full. I have taken the carb. apart, the jet is clean, I have cleaned the ports, the float valve is like new, I have the shop manual, and all the linkages etc. are correct, the choke works as it should, I don.t have a compression tester, but the motor only has about 20  hours, it seems ok.  I crank it, the plug is dry.  I tried starter fluid, it will give a weak backfire as it spins down.  it is getting spark when i ground the plug on the head,  I have not checked the valve clearance nor the timing.

Answer
Check the valves and make sure the intake valve is not sticking.  Just pull the valve cover off and see if the valves are properly working...don't worry about the clearances for now...just make sure they open and close quickly.

Did you blow compressed air from an air compressor through the carburetor orifices?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones