Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Lawn Mower Repair

Firstly, let me thank you for being part of the group. I, too, am a volunteer. But that is in Automotive Antique Parts.
  I have a Craftsman Rotary Lawn Mower, Model: 917-370440. When I engage the "self propelled" feature, the belt squeals. While the belt is "slightly" glazed, it isn't cracked. It seems to me, that there should be an area where it can be adjusted or tightened. Under the push handle, there is a compartment held together with Allen head bolts. I haven't taken it apart yet but is this where the belt can be adjusted? I know that a new belt will be "larger" since it is new but I would think there could be a place to adjust an "older" belt. Your thoughts would be appreciated.. Thank you, again, for your time to be in the group.

There is no "real" adjustment for the drive belt on your mower...I even looked in the manual to be sure.

Did you remove the belt cover and watch what happens when you squeeze the self-propel lever?  Does the transaxle housing hit the mower frame preventing the belt from fully tightening?  HAve you spun the transaxle input shaft by hand to make sure the transaxle is properly working?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology