Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/gas mower

Hello!I've a suggestion.For all gas lawnmowers,instead of the pull cord to activate the engine;place a power cord from the engine to a button on the side,near the top of the handle,then,press the button for the motor to come on.The pull cord can really tire a person's arm,therefore,the direct cord would be more beneficial & a magnificent improvement to the machines.Please e-mail me when you can,people.Have a Super day!Tue.June 10/.

Electric start, as you described with an extension or short cord, is very common on snow blowers.

Electric start, 12 volt DC battery, is an option on many walk behind mowers but it costs at least a $100-200 more and the batteries, which can be expensive, need replacing every year or two unless you bring them in the house over the winter.  I have electric on my Snapper walk behind mower and it is a great feature...I just have to remove and bring the battery in each winter and re-charge in the spring near mowing season.  I get many years from my battery and others would as well if they take care of them.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology