Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Husqvarna YTH24V48 hour meter

Question
I'm looking possibly looking at the purchase of a "supposedly" very slightly used 2014 lawn-tractor that was advertised with only 16 hours on the meter.  I called and talked to the seller to set up a meeting to look at this mower, but the seller was on vacation at the beach. We discussed the particulars of a possible sale/agreement, with him to call me upon his return home. The seller did call me as agreed on Thursday evening late; but stating he had a small problem we needed to discuss about the stated hours on the meter.  He stated his son used the mower to mow his yard, and left the ignition switch on, thus running down the battery;  and after charging the battery, placing it back in the mower, the hour meter now shows 108 hours.  Is this possible for a hour meter to run with just the ign. sw. on, but the engine off? Should I consider this mower for $1300.00, or run look at other prospects?  Thanks for your advise!

Answer
Some hour meters do run with the key on but most count (time) based on the ignition module which the engine needs to run to activate.

With that few of hours I would make sure the mower does not show signs of hard use, dents, lots of paint scratched or missing, large grass build up on the deck.

Do you know if the machine still has any warranty?  If so, does the warranty transfer?  Usually the warranty is for the original owner only, non-transferable.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones