Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/john deere lx279

I have a J.D. lx279 with the 17 hp kawasaki 2 cly.  Been a good mower, but now doesn't want to run unless choked.  (did all the obvious things-fuel, filter, pump, have removed and replaced main needle valve on float--it works freely.#  Two questions--one, is it possible to clean, or blow out jets or orifices in carb without taking carb off?  I can remove the bowl-float, but I can't seem to be able to remove main carb body because of linkage #throttle-choke cable control plate has 2 torx head bolts - with a small pin in the center of the recess so a regular torx won't work.)  Second question--how to adjust the choke and throttle cables on the control plate mentioned above?
Thank you.

First, download your service manual from the URL below:

The torx screws you are referring to are anti-tamper screws but Harbor Freight sells a kit for less then $5 that have the bits you need to remove the screws.  Once you have the bits you can adjust the cables

You really need to remove the whole carb to clean it well.

Download your engine service manual, take a look at the carb section and get the bits from Harbor Freight or similar store.

If you remove the spark plugs, then remove the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine does gas squirt out end of the fuel line?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology