Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Ryobi 725r trimmer head clutch repair

I have three power heads I have dissemble cleaned and reassembled several times with no luck getting the clutches to work. I've used break cleaner, have tried very light tri-flow on clutch wings only after rust removal on one of the power heads. I am concerned the clutch slips inside the housing cup if they are expanding with centrifugal force. I've even tried a light pipe thread sealer on inside of one of the cups to get grip. Cables are not broken and square cable seems to be tight in cup throat. Power heads all run great just no torque at receiver heads for multiple attachments. I am stumped but persistent. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

There should be nothing inside the clutch drum or on the fluids at all.

I have seen a lot of these models and the clutches are fairly reliable.  Are you sure the shaft and cable are fully seated in the clutch drum?  Is the clutch drum square hole stripped or rounded out?

Can you use a power drill to turn the inner cable to see if the trimmer head spins?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology