Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/sears gas leaf blower

QUESTION: I have a sear gas leaf blower model # 944 518250 , I was attempting to fix for a friend. He was complaining of hard starting, I brought it home, gave it a shot of quick start, no go.
I question him more, assuming old gas, perhaps, and was told he brought it somewhere, and the repairman had spark, and it was running this year. Another episode of hard starting, and its in my hands, no spark, not the plug, this years gas . where  is a good place to start looking for the cause?
Thanks, miscreant .

ANSWER: For spark, the best test is to dis-connect the small wire connected to the ignition module.  If you have spark the module is spark with the wire dis-connected then the module is bad.

If the wire is dis-connected, and you have spark, then the shut-off switch is the problem.

Did you try a new spark plug?

QUESTION: thanks for your help. yes, new plug, and I tried another good to spark.
I removed the off switch from the handle, and Tried for spark with these  wires unattached first, then connected them, and tried again. how should I disassemble this unit to get to spark module? I cant access from fan side, Is it behind the motor?
Thanks, Miscreant

It might be behind the engine.  It is a little difficult to tell from the parts diagram as to what has to be removed to access the module but it looks like you have to separate the main plastic housing to access anything.  Have you separated the plastic housing halves?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology