Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Tecumseh 22HP charging issue

Question
QUESTION: I have a MTD garden tractor with a tecumseh 22HP engine. I have diagnosed no output from the regulator. All other aspects of the electrical system operate normally. I performed all diagnostics by following the V twin factory service manual. The standoff posts beneath the regulator were corroded, so the unit did not have a good ground and likely overheated.

The stator is a 16A coil, and the Tecumseh regulator is 16A and is Tecumseh part # 611184. The part is no longer manufactured. What other brand (Kohler, etc.) of available regulator can I use in place of the 611184? What will fit/work?

Optional Information:
Make: Tecumseh 22HP
Model: ov691 tvt691

ANSWER: Most 3 pin and some 2 pin regulators will work...you may have to change the connector or just solder a replacement in place.  How many connections/pins was on the old regulator?

I use Yamaha regulators on my Honda motorcycle as the Yamaha's are more reliable and much cheaper.

Motorcycle regulators will not work as they are usually 3 phase regulators.

Mower regulators are single phase...only one AC input.

Did you check Ebay, type in "tecumseh regulator" or "lawn mower regulator"

Eric

Tecumseh regulator
Tecumseh regulator  
QUESTION: Thanks for your response.  The regulator has two spade connectors.  If I can't find another 16 amp regulator of any brand, should I choose a lower or higher amperage regulator?  How do I wire the two yellow AC leads coming from the stator into a three-wire regulator?  The only accessory pulling power from the battery when I run the mower is the electric clutch.  I don't mind a battery getting slightly less power than the stator is able to produce, but I definitely don't want to overcharge or boil and explode the battery.  Attached is an image of what I have now.  Thanks.

-Danny

Answer
Use a higher amp rated regulator if possible.  Was you old regulator a square shape with a metal case?  If it only had 2 spades, one must be for the alternator (AC) and the other was the DC output.  Briggs sells some 2 wire regulators.

Do you have a picture of your old regulator?
Can you send a picture of the alternator connector as well?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones