Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman Lawn Tractor Fuel

Craftsman Model 917.273101 Garden Tractor:  22 HP Kohler twin-V.
The mower starts and runs only a few seconds before the carb runs dry.  I replaced the fuel pump and filter but the pump can't seem to keep up with the fuel demand. I also cleaned the carb, checked the fuel safety valve, float and needle valve and everything seems to be functioning properly.  I also checked the vacuum line and fuel lines and there are no cracks or leaks.

How much vacuum should the line be pulling? If I do not have enough, where else on the engine could I be loosing vacuum?

Do you have the Kohler Engine model #CV24S-75532?

If so, the URL below is the engine service manual:

Page 20 describes the vacuum check procedure.

If you loosen the fuel cap will the engine continue to run?

Let me know.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology