Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Engine cuts off

I'm running a 9hp Kawasaki (FC290V) that has outlasted two mowers. By far the best small engine I have ever owned BUT the last time I mowed with it just quit after about 15 min. I checked the plug and no spark, so I put in a new one. Cranked up and ran fine for another 10 min or so. After it sat for nearly a month I went back and checked for spark and it was there. The rectifier and the igniter are bolted directly to the engine so on the theory that one of them might be breaking down when the engine gets hot I inserted a thick nylon washer between each and the engine. I cranked it up and it ran fine --for 15 min. Parts for this engine are expensive, but still available and I have no idea what needs fixing.

When were the valve clearances checked?

Are you using NGK spark plugs?

FYSA, most of the Kawasaki igniters are interchangeable...some ignitiers are cheaper for other engines.

Better than throw money away, you need to first figure out if it is spark, fuel or compression.

Google "small engine ignition tester" and buy one.

I use this one:

This is a decent one as well:

This tool is quicker but I prefer the less expensive model as I know they are very reliable for checking spark:

Let me know about the valves and have you tried running the engine with the gas cap a little loose?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology