Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere CV13S No spark

I have been trying to get this rider going. It was given to my father in law. It had a bad starter which was replaced. Now it will turn over atleast but is getting no spark. I cleaned up the Magneto and the deal on the flywheel with a scotch brite pad to no avail. Now he has also replaced the magneto with a new unit and still getting no spark. Is there something else that I am missing? Maybe a bad switch or something that would keep it from getting spark?

Thank you.
 Willy Flowers

Yes, it could be a bad switch.  

Since you know how to access the ignition module, follow the small wire from the module to the connection on the engine block...should only be one wire.  Dis-connect the wire at the connection point and see if you have spark.  You are dis-connecting any and all safety switches at that point.  If the engine starts you can stop it by choking it or dis-connecting the spark plug wire.

Let me know if you have spark with the small wire from the ignition module dis-connected.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology