Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/MOWER

hello i have a briggs and stratton self propelled mower. the problem im having is my mower wont run. it is getting fire the coil and spark plug is good and my key way and my float... it acts like it wants to run but it just backfires out the carberatur

Is the blade or blade adapter loose or cracked?  Does the mower try to pull the rope out of your hand when you try and start it?

If you remove the air filter and prime the engine, will it start?  I use an old style dinner ketchup bottle with the pointy/tapered tip for priming engines...just add a little new gas to the bottle and squirt into the carburetor/air filter housing.

Let me know.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology