Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Peerless 206-545C transaxle

I just saved a 2004 Craftsman LT2000 from the scrapyard. Previous owner never maintained it ever. Deck was totally destroyed, bought a new one. Then I found fishing line wrapped around left axle and it took out the seal. Now for the question, can I replace the axle seals in this Peerless 206-545C without breaking the case in half. I've been a mechanic for over 50 years and know quite a bit, but not sure on this particular transaxle. Please help and Thanks in advance

No, you can not replace the seal without taking the transaxle apart.  There are grooves in each case housing where the seal needs to sit.  The groove is actually much wider than the seal itself but the seal needs to sit inside the groove, inside each half of the case.

The cases should be siliconed together so but you could probably get by by gently lifting each end to install the seal.

You can find the service manual by Googling "peerless motion drive".  It will tell you the grease you need as well as how to assemble the transaxle.  Pay attention to the DETENT ball and spring as well as the installation of the bushings...they have tabs on them that need to sit in the casing.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology