Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Pull rope almost yanked my hand off

Hi Eric, Been starting Briggs & Stratton YBSXS.1091VE just fine until last time. It starts okay for hubby. I am the user and being female, not as strong a pull as a man. A friend made an adjustment inside the rocker arm cap one time that made it easier to pull without the thing yanking the rope pull out of my hand. Actually yanked it out of my hand and the plastic pull slapped across my other wrist while holding down the control bar. Can't have that happen again. Huge knot on wrist and black and blue for a month! Now I'm quite leery of pulling it. How to adjust?

Thank you very much for helping! Gotta have the thing ASAP

First, remove the spark plug and see if you can pull the string easy.  See if any fluid squirts out of the spark plug hole.

Second, with the spark plug still removed, I would remove the blade and check the blade adapter to be sure it is not cracked and the key way is not damaged. Make sure you keep the spark plug hole facing up when checking the blade and blade adapter.

If you have a loose blade or bad blade adapter the rope will jerk out of you hand.

Third, with the spark plug still removed, I would remove the flywheel nut and check the flywheel key to see if it is sheared.  A sheared or partially sheared flywheel key will also cause the rope to jerk out of you hand.  You can use some old string, with knots tied in it, to hold the flywheel in place.  Insert enough knots inside the spark plug hole to hold the crankshaft in place but be sure to leave enough string out so you can remove it.

Finally, is the oil level correct or too high?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology