Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/voltage regulator

Question
I have a LX 288 John Deere 18 hp riding mower. The charging light
would come on and then go off for a while and then come back on.
I put a load test on the battery and showed that battery was bad.
I bought a new battery at John Deere and now the charging lite stays on. I checked voltage at the battery and read 16.45 volts
I didn't want to run any longer because of overcharging the
battery

Answer
Did you clean the battery terminals and battery cable ends before installing the new battery?

Use the information at the URL below to identify your charging system:

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf

This link may be useful as well:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/~/media/Frequently%20Asked%20Questions/Engine/P

You may have to scrape some paint off the connector and/or alternator wire to identify your system...just don't scrape off too much.

I am assuming you have a volt meter...is this correct?

Eric  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones