Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/voltage regulator

I have a LX 288 John Deere 18 hp riding mower. The charging light
would come on and then go off for a while and then come back on.
I put a load test on the battery and showed that battery was bad.
I bought a new battery at John Deere and now the charging lite stays on. I checked voltage at the battery and read 16.45 volts
I didn't want to run any longer because of overcharging the

Did you clean the battery terminals and battery cable ends before installing the new battery?

Use the information at the URL below to identify your charging system:

This link may be useful as well:

You may have to scrape some paint off the connector and/or alternator wire to identify your system...just don't scrape off too much.

I am assuming you have a volt this correct?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology