Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/how to fix my mower

i have a 8 horse power snaper rear enigon rideing mower.It was running fine and then it just quite.It will turn over but it wont start.Gas is coming out of the muffler can you taile me how to fix it.Thank you Elmer Critton

First, if gas is coming out the muffler you drain and re-fill the oil.

The oil got in the gas due to a leaking carburetor inlet needle/seat.  It could be just an old inlet needle or some water or dirt may have got in the carb causing it to leak.

This is what I would do first.  REMOVE the spark plug.  Install a fuel line shut-off valve...this will let you shut the fuel off so it can not flood/enter the engine.

With spark plug REMOVED, drain oil.  Turn engine over to get any oil/gas out of the cylinder...fluid may squirt out the spark plug hole.

REFILL oil to correct level.  Install NEW spark plug.  TURN-ON fuel shut-off valve...let it sit a minute or so so fuel enters the carb.  Try to start.  

If it starts you can either just stop the engine by turning OFF the fuel shut-off valve or you could overhaul the carb and replace the wore parts.

At the shop we would rebuild the carb and install a fuel shut-off valve...the valve will ensure the carb does not leak.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology