Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere GT 225 charging problem

My GT 225 has a CV15 Kohler motor. The battery light came on very bright when I started it. When I checked I was getting 19.5 volts DC. I replaced the Voltage regulator and the discharge capacitor. When I started the motor  I still got 19.5 volts. I unplugged the regulator and got 49 VAC from the Stator. At this point I'm lost because the Kohler manual indicates the new regulator might be bad. Any other ideas?

Bad ground?  Have you dis-connected the battery cables and cleaned the battery terminal posts and cable with a wire brush?

The AC out of the stator sounds a little high but not too much...the regulator should reduce the extra AC voltage.

Did you try adding another ground wire from the solenoid or engine to the mower frame?

At 19.5 volts DC you should be smoking the battery.  Have you had the battery load tested at you local auto parts store?

Is the battery discharge sensor bad?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology