Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/LT 160 John Deere Riding Mower

QUESTION: I have a 10-year old John Deere LT160 riding mower.  When fully charged the engine will start but shut off immediately.  I have changed the spark plug; fuel pump and fuel filter and blew out the lines.  Sometimes it will start and run but very roughly.  When I shut it off it will not start again.  If I leave it over night and try the following morning it does the same thing, i.e sometimes will start and sometimes it won't.  Sometimes when I'm trying to start it I see fluids coming out above the right front tire.

ANSWER: What engine is on the mower?

Has the carburetor ever been rebuilt?

QUESTION: First and foremost thank you for your time and expertise.

The carburetor has never been rebuilt.
The engine is a Kohler Model CV15S-41610.
One cylinder, Four cycle. 11.2kW (15.0 hp)

I don't want to put a lot of money into the mower if it's not worth fixing.

Thank you

I would start by removing, dis-assembling and cleaning the carburetor with compressed air from an air compressor.  Blow air through all the carburetor orifices (holes) and spray some carburetor cleaner through them as well.

You can download the service manual from Kohler engines.  Use the URL below to find the manual:

Cleaning the carburetor is not a very difficult.  Make sure you take a picture and mark the carburetor linkages so you know where they go when you put the carburetor back on.

You can also search You Tube for carburetor cleaning videos...there are lots of them on You Tube.

Download the service manual and read the section on servicing the carburetor, clean the carburetor and let me know if it fixes the problem.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology