Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/MTD Mower unlevel

Question
I have a MTD 13BM660F131 mower.  I cannot figure out why the mower itself will not sit level.  I do have a right side rear tire that goes flat when sitting, but I air both up to 20 lbs before I mow.  The tractor leans to the right and it’s lower on the right side when I check the distance between the pivot areas of the front axle and the frame then it is on the left.  All this causes the mower to mow unevenly.  It looks like the rear end is stationary and I can’t figure out how to make the mower level out.  Is this something the tire is causing when it’s flat or what’s the problem? Thank you.

Answer
Tire pressure is the most common cause of unlevel mowing.

Did you follow the leveling procedure in the owner's manual?

Find the manual here:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/equipment/OperatorManualView?storeId=10500&catalogId=

Deck Leveling Adjustment
WARNING: Protect your hands by wearing
heavy gloves to grasp the cutting blade.
NOTE: Check the tractor’s tire pressure before
performing any deck leveling adjustments. Refer to
Tires later in this section for further information
regarding tire pressure.
The front of the cutting deck is supported by two lift links
that can be adjusted to level the deck from both front to
rear & side to side. The front of the deck should be
between 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch lower than the rear of
the deck. Adjust if necessary as follows:
• With the tractor parked on a firm, level surface,
place the deck engagement/lift lever in the top
cutting height notch (not BLADES STOP) position.
• Rotate the blade nearest the discharge chute so
that it is parallel with the tractor.

Measure the distance from the front of the blade tip
to the ground and the rear of the blade tip to the
ground. The first measurement taken should be
between 1/4" and 3/8" less than the second
measurement. Determine the approximate distance
necessary for proper adjustment and proceed, if
necessary, to the next step.
• Place the deck engagement/lift lever in the
engaged (all the way forward) position.
• Remove the hairpin clip from the ferrule found at
the bottom of the front, left deck link (hairpin clip is
on the inside of the lift link). See Figure 14.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones