Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/TB144 REV 800 will not run

QUESTION: This cultivator/trimmer has never been used but has sit around for several years.  The engine is the 4 stroke 24 cc engine.  I replaced the carb, fuel lines etc.  I then discovered that there is no spark.  I took the cover off the machine.  I can;t figure out how to get the ignition model on the machine.  Any idea what I need to take apart to expose this module?  Thanks  much.

ANSWER: You need to remove the rear engine cover to gain access to the ignition module.

QUESTION: I removed the four screws on the red cover on the front of the engine,  The spark plug wire runs right into the engine above that cover.  I assume that is the cover you are talking about. Should that cover "pop off" with the removal of those 4 screws - or is there something else to remove?  Thanks for any ideas.

ANSWER: Looking at a similar model the cover should pop off but some models may have additions screws/parts that will need to be removed to access the ignition module.

Are you sure there is no spark?  Did you dis-connect the external electrical connections and check for spark?

QUESTION: I bought a new plug.  Put the plug in the end of the spark plug wire - held it against the metal part of the engine and no spark when the starter rope was pulled.  I did the same on the ordinal plug which looked new - also no spark.  Like I previously mentioned, the compression is really good.  Thanks for your help..

Did you dis-connect all the electrical connections and test for spark?
It is possible the on/off switch is bad or a wire is bad.  If you still have no spark with the on/off switch dis-connected then you will need to remove the rear cover to access the ignition module.  Dis-connect the small wire connected to the ignition module and test for spark again.  If no spark then the module is bad.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology