Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/B&S Carb on a Craftsman Rider

Question
Sir:  I have a Craftsman riding mower model LT1000 with a B&S carb 17.5 HP OHV.
Symptoms: starts and runs OK for 10 minutes then misses, sputters, backfires, stalls. Will restart and repeat.
Will run at idle for another while, but when under load, like engaging blade, it immediately stalls.
Have replaced plug, replaced gas with fresh, run with gas cap removed, and get same results.  I noticed that the gasket on the gas cap must have deteriorated and some pieces fell into the bottom of the gas tank.  I got the large piece out but small pieces are still at bottom of gas tank..  Have also removed solenoid and wire connection under carburetor and let drain.  Did not remove bowl or tamper with float or carburetor.  Tried a little carb spray in air hole on top of carb and it did run smoothly for a short period and the engine did rev up for a few minutes but after a few squirts of the carb cleaner spray the process occurred again; sputter, sputter, slow speed, backfire, stall.  Do you think I should remove the carburetor and clean it ?

Answer
I would start by cleaning the carburetor, the fuel tank, fuel line and fuel filter.

You need to make sure there are no obstructions blocking any of the carburetor orifices.

Have you checked You Tube for videos on cleaning lawn mower carburetors?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones