Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/fuel selenoid operation

my Briggs mower will not start. got spark no gas to carb. will run if i pour gas into carb. suspect fuel solenoid but not sure of operation.  I would think it would be closed when mower is off and opens to allow fuel flow when on. hate to spend money for replacement if Briggs might be another reason for mower not getting gas also checked for gas at carb intake elbow and had good flow there. am i right in my thinking that the solenoid has gone bad?

You are correct about the operation.  When the key is off the solenoid closes and shuts off the fuel.  When the key is on 12 volts opens the solenoid.

Apply 12 volts to the solenoid using a jumper lead.   Listen for a click.

The URL below may be helpful.

Make sure there are no ground issues...had bad wiring and poor grounds in the past that caused the solenoid not to open.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology