Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/fuel selenoid operation

Question
my Briggs mower will not start. got spark no gas to carb. will run if i pour gas into carb. suspect fuel solenoid but not sure of operation.  I would think it would be closed when mower is off and opens to allow fuel flow when on. hate to spend money for replacement if Briggs might be another reason for mower not getting gas also checked for gas at carb intake elbow and had good flow there. am i right in my thinking that the solenoid has gone bad?

Answer
You are correct about the operation.  When the key is off the solenoid closes and shuts off the fuel.  When the key is on 12 volts opens the solenoid.

Apply 12 volts to the solenoid using a jumper lead.   Listen for a click.

The URL below may be helpful.

Make sure there are no ground issues...had bad wiring and poor grounds in the past that caused the solenoid not to open.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones