Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/homelite chainsaw

Question
MR. JONES HOW ARE YOU, ME AGAIN. WENT TO USE MY HOMELITE CHAINSAW TO CUT A BRANCH. GAS IS JUST POURING OUT OF CARBURETOR AND EVEN CAME OUT OF CYLINDER HEAD WHEN I TOOK THE SPARK PLUG OUT. I USED THE SAW AROUND FEBUARY THIS YEAR, AND IT RAN OK TIL NOW. MY SAW IS A HOMELITE 27AV THE MODEL NUMBER IS UT-10848. THE FUEL LINES LOOK FAIR THE PRIMER BULB STILL WORKS DOES NOT LEAK. COULD IT BE DIRTY CARB.? I WOULD APPRECIATE YOUR ADVICE, THANK YOU, FRED

Answer
The only way gas can enter the cylinder is through the carburetor inlet needle.  The needle had to leak for gas to get past.  The leaking could be due to a bad inlet needle, metering diaphragm or a gas tank that is not venting and causing too much pressure forcing the gas to leak past the inlet needle.

I would start by installing a carburetor kit.  I tried looking up the carb, the part number is UP06737A but is no longer available.  I suspect the carb is a Walbro.  The carb will have the manufacturer brand name on it as well as a model number.  You should be able to find a repair kit at you local small engine repair shop.

Did the saw run after you drained the gas out of the cylinder?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones