Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Honda crankshaft adapter

QUESTION: The Honda engine on my power washer recently failed beyond repair.  I removed the  pump and purchased a used Honda engine from a trash pump.  when I removed the impeller from the crank shaft, I discovered the crankshaft end was threaded versus a smooth keyed shaft from my original engine.  

Do you know if a they make a keyed shaft adapter for the threaded end crankshaft?

ANSWER: I have not seen any adapters.  We have the opposite problem...I have several Honda engines from pressure washers with bad pumps...the shaft is not threaded so the engine is not very useful since you can bolt anything to the engine of the crankshaft.

If the engines are the same model you might be able to swap crankshaft.  We do this fairly often as most crankshafts are steel and usually do not wear much.

QUESTION: Thank you for the feedback.  Do you know of a site with a manual on how to change the crankshaft?  The OHC and timing belt arrangement are a little daunting to me.

ANSWER: What is the Honda engine model number?  Have you checked You Tube?  There are lots of videos that may be helpful.

Send me the engine model number or just Google it and see if someone has posted a service manual.

QUESTION: The link to was great for the timing belt phobia that I had.  I have a Honda WN30 160 cc horizontal shaft engine.  I would like to find a similar how-to video for removing and replacing the crankshaft. any help would be appreciated.  Thank you so much for all of the information so far, you are such a great help to me.

Did you search You Tube for Honda WN20 crankshaft replacement?

Young kid but has some good tips for marking bolt that need to be torqued as well as removing the engine case.

I would not take out the tappets (push rods) but they may fall out if you are not careful.

You should search for videos on remove the flyweel.  Once you have the flywheel off you can remove the engine case to access the engine internal parts.  Carefully remove the cover and cam.  Once those parts are remove you can rotate the crankshaft to access the rod bolts.  MARK the bolts so you can re-torque if you do not have a torque wrench.  Mark the rod cap as well so you know how it goes back on.  Remove rod bolts and move the rod up out of the way so you can remove the shaft.  You will probably have to rotate the shaft some to remove it.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology