Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Making my lawnmower quieter

Hello: I have a four year old Toro Personal Pace 20332 lawnmower.It works great,but I am getting tired of having to wear ear protection when I use it.Is there anything that can be done to make it run quieter? I read that Briggs & Stratton have a "Lo-Tone or Super Lo-Tone" muffler kit that can replace the factory muffler. Can this be installed on my lawnmower? Would that make a noticeable difference in noise? BTW,my new neighbors asked me yesterday if I could mow my back yard later,as the lawnmower was disturbing their pool party.

Do you have the Briggs and Stratton 128T02-3125-B1 engine?

If so, check page 10-7 at the URL below:

Does your muffler look like the super lo-tone Briggs and Stratton part number 496106S?  Just Google the part number.

The only other way to make the mower quiter is to buy a different mower.  Most of the Kawasaki and Honda engine are quiter...I prefer the Kawasaki over the Honda.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology