Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Briggs and Stratton Recoil

I have a model 095902 type 0107 Briggs and stratton lawn mower engine.  The auto recoil on the starter rope does not work.  I have to manually rewind it before I try to start the motor each time.  I have had it repaired twice, but it seems to just default to its present state after a short time.  I don't  want to take it back to get repaired again, I would rather find out myself what the problem is and fix it once and for all.  Apart from this issue, it is a great motor and has given good service over many years.
and Thanks in anticipation.

Based on the engine model and type code you have the older Briggs and Stratton starter starter clutch, the one that is square on top.

Often times rust or dirt builds up on the tip of the crankshaft that fits inside the starter clutch.

When we repair this starter, we remove the starter clutch with a special tool, clean the top of the crankshaft with sandpaper, and then clean or replace the clutch.  Before re-assembling we usually test and lubricate the starter pulley spring inside the top of the engine shroud (top engine cover).  

Once the rope retracts smoothly we re-assemble.  If the string does not retract after lubricating then we usually replace the starter rewind spring.

You can search You Tube for Briggs and Starter clutch repair.

You can try cleaning the clutch by just removing the top half but you have to make sure the crankshaft tip is still clean.  We normally do not clean as we have has too many come back for the same clutches seem to last longer than cleaning.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology