Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/adding battery charging to tecumseh HM100

Hi! I have a snowblower with a tecumseh hm100 159077g engine, with 12v electric start and a light. I want to add a battery and charging system so i can start it without having to jump it from my car every time. How do i wire a rectifier to the lighting cirquit so i can charge the battery? There are three wires coming from the generator, one is labeled "ignition ground" in the repair manual and two are labeled for "headlights/driving light lights" and "stop lights" respectivly. The current light is connected to the chassis and the two light output wires (which are connected togeather and continue in a single wire to the light). "Ignition ground" is not connected to anything.
I hope my explanation is clear, and that you will be able to help me.

Here is the service manual address:,d.cGc

Start reading on page 42.  Identify which color wires you have and what each of the wires are, AC volts?  

Do you have a multimeter to measure and check to make sure the AC is working?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology