Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/snowblower gearcase

Question
Hi Eric,

I have a 1977 ariens snowblower  model 924026, serial number 020391, 8hp 24 inch width. I'm getting it ready for winter and decided to take the blower portion apart to paint it, however I was wondering how can I check to see if my gearcse(cast iron, helicon gear)bushings need changing? Last year I changed the impeller bearing and the auger bushings and everything turns great, I was just wondering if I can see any wear on the gearcase without taking it apart? Is the gearcase a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing. I don't want to take it apart and not be able to put it back together!

Answer
You have to dis-assemble to check for wear.  Our rule-of-thumb is don't take is apart if it isn't broke.

Just check the fluid.  According to the manual it holds approximately 5 ounces of Ariens no. 90 premium gear lube.

A little Google research yielded the following:
"80W90 is the oil you will use. If, for reasons of leakage in the gear box, you can substitute the oil for "00" grease"

If you know your seals are leaking then we usually opt of 00 grease.  It is a thick greasy oil commonly found in Snapper drive systems.

If the seals are leaking you can try replacing but we often find the bushings and shaft are wore, from general use, as well and new seals often still leak due to the busing and shaft wear...this is where the 00 is useful.

The main point...keep the gear case LUBED and do NOT take it apart if it isn't broke.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones