Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/spring connection

QUESTION: My Troy bilt mower Model 14az809h,  GTX 2446
I had a large spring break and I don't know where it connects.
I found it laying on top of the transmission pulley.
When I engage the drive pedal the machine won't go.

ANSWER: Did you review Figure 17 on page 21 of your Operator's Manual?

If you Google your model number you will find the Operator's Manual on MTD's website.

QUESTION: I think it is part 26 on page 34,
can't tell where it fastens on.
all other springs seem to be accounted for.

I suspect the spring keeps the drive belt tight.  

Is the belt loose?

If so, see which direction you have to move the pulley to tighten the belt.  This should be the direction the spring needs to pull.  

Look for holes with wear marks.  Often times there will be signs where the part was connect such as scratched paint, shiny metal in a hole or rough hole, etc.

A flashlight really helps to locate wear marks.

See if you see any signs of wear where the spring may have connected.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology