Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman 2-Stage 9Hp Snow Blower

I was using my 9Hp 2-Stage Craftsman snow blower (~10 years old, looks new)last weekend.  The weather was mid-20's and dry, approx. 4 inches of new snow. Blower has power drive. I ran and shut-off the equipment four to five times without issue during the day using the electric start.  No unusual sounds or performance.  The last time I shut it down and went to restart approximately 1/2 hr later.  The electric start sounded as if it was "disengaged".  This disengagement sound also can occur when the equipment is having a hard time starting, as if its trying to save the starter from burning up.  I just have to wait a minute or two to retry.  As several attempts to start with the electric start were fruitless, I went for the pull start cord.  It was completely frozen.  Will not budge, even after days in a relatively warm garage.  First thought was the oil (seize-up), however, its not the cleanest, but it is full.  Any thoughts/experience?  Will most likely take it to Sears and have to shovel awaiting their not so fast turnaround.  If the engine is seized, probably means new equipment. Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Remove the spark plug and try to pull string.  If you can't pull the string with the spark plug removed, then remove the starter cover / engine cover to access and inspect the electric starter.

Try to turn the flywheel by hand.  If you still can't rotate the engine, by hand and with the spark plug removed, then make sure there is nothing binding on the rear pulley.

Have you brought the blower inside a garage that is above freezing so it can de-thaw?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology