Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Hydrostatic Gear Transaxle broken

Craftsman 25 hp riding tractor Model 944-604901
Transaxle Model 331-3000. Complete Transaxle part # 176056
On left side of the T/A, the large gear( broke into pieces) punched a hole out of the aluminum casing and all the oil ran out.SEARS lists the unit as not available!!!
Was wondering where I could get one new or preferably a "used one in good shape". The tractor is in good shape and about 10 years old. I live in Canada(prairies).The value of our dollar and the shipping charges from the USA are crazy now, so I have to consider that.
Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!thanks Lyle

Ebay is an option for a less expensive, used or new unit, but you never know the condition of a used T/A.  

Since the case is busted, it is best to just replace the entire transaxle as the case is very difficult and expensive to repair unless you have a TIG welder and a few machine tools to make sure the case is square.

You could source an alternate T/A but the amount of time it would take to find something that would would plus the time is takes to modify what ever you might have to change could far exceed the price of just buying the same model you already have.

Have you ever rebuilt a hydrostatic T/A?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology