Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/lx172 transmission

i have a lx 172 john deere mower that has a blade and mowes great really like the mower but last week the transmission made a grinding sound and jumped and then wouldn't go forward anymore without a growling sound and then not at all would back up great which i did for 5 blocks to get home took tranmission out and was full of grease hard balls cleaned them all out and all the gears look good went to jd store and got new oil for it and filled back up  still doesn't work but still backs up what do you think is wrong? you talk about the fork? i'm not to up on parts or how to do but will try can you help me? what do you think is problem or should i look for different one hate to as great mower and runs great.

Do you have a Peerless 801 series transaxle?

If so, sounds like the shift keys broke on the forward drive side.  I have replaced a lot of keys and they generally exhibit the condition you described when they break...reverse works but no forward gears.

Peerless motion drive repair manual URL:

Read the manual for a description of the shift keys.  Also, pay attention to how the shaft bushings have to be installed...there is a tab on each bushing which must be inserted in the case correctly.  Finally, some of the washers are the tells you which washers are chamfered and how they must be installed.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology