Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/RIDING MOWER VIBRATION

Question
QUESTION: HELLO MR. JONES I HAVE A 2005 YEAR MODEL HUSQVARNA RIDING MOWER, ENGINE SOUNDS GREAT, PROBLEM WHEN I ENGAGE THE CUTTING BLADES THERE IS A NOISY VIBRATION, AND WHEN I AM CUTTING IT SLOWS THE ENGINE DOWN BY ABOUT 50%. IT ONLY MAKES THE NOISE WHEN YOU ENGAGE THE BLADES.  HUSQVARNA GT 2254 96023000500. ENGINE MODEL 40H777 TYPE 0241-E1 CODE 050208YH.  IT IS A 54 INCH CUTTING WIDTH. IS THERE A CLUTCH OR A BEARING GOING OUT YOU THINK? I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY IDEAS TO CHECK OUT. THANK YOU SIR.

ANSWER: I would suspect a bearing is going bad or some part on the deck is broke.  I would start by removing the cutting deck and checking the parts by looking at them and rotating any moving parts by hand to see if you see or feel any wore or broke (too tight) parts.

Does your owner's manual tell you how to remove the deck?

Eric

QUESTION: I DID REMOVE THE DECK, THE SPINDLE BEARINGS AND PULLEYS ALL TURN VERY EASY NO BROKEN OR BENT PARTS THAT I CAN SEE. THE BELT IS IN GOOD CONDITION. WHEN I PUT THE DECK BACK ON ITS THE SAME. WHEN I ENGAGE THE CUTTING BLADES, THE ENGINE GOES FROM A HIGH RPM TO ALMOST AN IDLE SPEED ALMOST KILLING THE ENGINE. WHAT ENGAGES THE BLADES ON THIS MODEL? THERE ARE NO CABLES ON THIS MODEL.

Answer
You have an electric PTO clutch.  When you turn the switch electric current energizes the clutch which then turns the belt.

The clutch could be bad, you could just have an electrical issue or both.

You Tube showing an electric PTO clutch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN2Q9G3Wq-M

Did the problem happen all of a sudden or has the mower sat a while?

Do you have a digital mutlimeter to check the power and clutch resistance?

It is possible the carburetor is the issue...not providing enough fuel.
It is possible the governor is at fault.
It is possible the PTO clutch is bad.
It is possible there is an electrical problem.

You will have to do some testing to eliminate which parts are good and which part(s) is bad.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones