Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/ryobi 2 stroke trimmer

Question
Starts and runs for at most 2 seconds, not long enough to pump the primer or spray ether to see if it's a fuel problem.  Would think it would run a little longer on the primer which is working fine, as it would on a 4 stroke.  Checked muffler and it is clear. Wonder if there could be something with the ignition causing such as it doesn't strike me as a carb problem?  Thought I'd get an opinion before wasting my time with the carb which I suppose could be the problem?

Answer
I'd suspect a stiff metering diaphragm in the carb.

Do you have a small squirt bottle to use as a primer bottle?  I use a diner style ketchup bottle, the one with the taper/pointy tip, with a little 2 cycle gas inside the bottle.  I use the bottle to prime and keep the engine running by feeding oil/gas mix from the bottle directly into the carb.  Works great and if the engine compression and ignition is alright you can keep the trimmer running for as long as you want.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones