Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Engine "kill" switch

Hi Eric-

Several weeks ago bought a go-kart frame with no engine. Bought one of those Harbor Freight $99.00 5hp engines and it bolted up perfect.

As a safety concern for the kids I would like to be able to shut the engine off from the seat but the on/off switch is located on the back of the engine out of reach of the seat. I tried splicing a switch into the wires behind the switch on the motor and no combination of the switch on different wires would stop the engine. Any ideas on how to install a remote kill switch for this engine?

Make sure you remote switch is grounded, no paint or anything under the button or wire.

When you move the remove kill switch to the off position it should ground the ignition system.  Did you connect the remote switch to the to the off side of the engine switch?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology