Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/J.D. Mod# 245 Lawn Tractor

Hello Guys
  My Tractor will not start. It has a Kawasaki engine 20 hp. It will not fire at all, but if you introduce gasoline into the carburator bowl, it will start and run until the fuel is depleated. It seems to me as if it is not getting the fuel to the pump at all. There is a small amount in the fuel filter, but the system won't pick it up. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys Jimm

Does the carburetor have a fuel shut-off solenoid?

What is the Kawasaki engine model number?

Is the fuel pump mounted on the engine?

I would remove the spark plug(s), dis-connect the fuel pump line going to the carburetor, crank the engine and see if the fuel pump is working.

You can dis-connect the fuel line at the carb or at the fuel pump...just have a container to catch any fuel that the fuel pump may pump.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology