Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere SX95(1990)

QUESTION: When my SX95 starting clicking rather than starting, I bought a new solenoid and replaced it. Before putting the body on the mower, I reconnected the battery. The solenoid (I think) would only make a spinning sound without the switch being on. Each time I touched the positive wire to the battery, the solenoid would make a spinning sound. Is it necessary to remove the cover on the starter to be sure the solenoid is seated properly? This mower has been well taken care of since I purchased it new.

ANSWER: The clicking you heard is often caused by a low/bad battery or corroded terminals/bad cables.

Did you charge the battery and load test it before replacing the solenoid?

Did you clean the battery terminals and cable ends with a wirebrush before reconnecting the battery?

Did you measure the voltage drop across both cables (positive and negative)to verify the condition of the cables and connections?

Do you still have the original solenoid?

What is the part number the replacement solenoid you have?

Let me know.

QUESTION: Thank you Eric for your timely response. I keep my battery on a "trickle charger" between mowings. When the problem occurred, both the positive battery terminals we cleaned - the battery terminals on this battery have holes in each where a screw (for each connect to positive/negative via screws. I purchased an exact replacement solenoid for the one that is defective. I still have the old one.

The new solenoid part no(s):
This solenoid came from:
Caltric, Inc.
12720 Wentworth Street
Arlenta, CA 91331

While I was waiting on your, I call a large lawnmower shop, who stated that it sounded like a bad switch or a solenoid. --- When I recieved the new one, I took it out of shipping box, the box was not taped for a unit as "heavy" as this part. I turned the box up to open it, and the new solenoid dropped 3.5 feet to a tiled floor in our foyer. Per the rep at the lawnmower shop, the solenoid is very fragile. I believe this is the problem. Do you concur?

Kind Regards,

Most solenoids I have worked with are pretty durable...dropping should not really affect them unless something broke off.

Did you check You Tube for testing a solenoid?  It is really very easy with some jumper wire (clip leads) and a volt meter.

Do you have a volt meter?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology