Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Murray Ultra 17hp 42" automatic drive

I have a Murray Ultra 17hp Tecumseh 42" automatic drive mower that was given to me. I don't know the model or serial# because it has worn off. It will not move forward or reverse. I noticed that some fluid has leaked out. Im guessing the hydrostatic pump oil has leaked out. How much does a new pump cost(est.)? Can I just put more oil in it? If so, Where is it located? What would you suggest I do? Thank you.

If you look on the transmission there will be a metal tag or stick with the manufacturer and model number.

Most likely you have a Peerless VST transaxle.

Take a look at the URL below and see if you can identify if you have a Peerless transaxle:

Let me know if you have the Peerless unit.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology