Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/sears riding mower xmission

So thanks for doing this, you are a VERY good guy. ten yr old Sears rider, 13-5 hp 30' blade. Has the 'auto' xmission, variable speeds. WAS working great until i had put in oil seal and changed belts. Whew. To get belt onto top pulley, had to lower xmission by removing six bolts, two on frame and two at each axle.When reassembled, cranked fine etc, but xmission strange. To make it go have tp ush brake/clutch petal all way down. To stop let it up (backwards). It may be keeping brake on, because the small brake disk gets hot. It can be pushed with engine off and without disengaging the xmission (hard, as always, but seems same as previous. what could I have done to xmission and how to fix. brake'clutch rod is same as before. the small lever connected to the xmission is there with the little pin to restrict movement, all that is dirty so has been untouched.  ?? how can I get back to you for additional questions. I'll be fine to pay for emails, keeping addresses private. thanks greatly. Good service to we amateurs.

ANSWER: The brake may need to be adjusted...I would start with that first.  

What is the mower model number?  You will find the model number on a sticker, about the size of a business card.

Send me the mower model number so I can look up your mower.

Mower number is 536.270280. As I see it, there seems to be no adjustment. Brake/clutch pedal is hooked to a spring, then to a long rod that interlaces a lever about two inches long. there is a peg in a notch in the lever so it can rotate maybe thirty degrees. The lever moves forward with the rod, then back when pedal is released. it is still working against the spring which has a good tension on it. thanks, i am baffled. I can take the engine apart - i was doing that when I was 14 also- but i am nervous re the xmission. I'm 70 now and still don't mind getting greasy. i'll check mower on sears parts list also.

There is an adjustment...there is usually a nut that hold the arm on with the 2 dowel pins.

Also, those dowel pins and rust and stick causing them to bind...I clean them all the time.  I remove the arm in order to remove the pins.  Clean with a wirebrush.

If the dowel pins are really dirty then the holes may need to be cleaned as well.  I use a small drill bit wrapped with steel wool to clean the dowel pin holes...just run the steel wool wrapped drill bit through the holes.  FYI, I usually remove the part that holds the dowel pins to really clean the holes.

After cleaning, a little WD-40 on the dowel pins, and reinstall and adjust.

Make sure you do NOT loose the small rectangle plate behind the dowel pins or you will break the brake puck.

Transmission repair manual URL:

How did you re-fill with oil after replacing the oil seal?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology