Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/1999 Murray 40 in. riding mower

The mower has a 12.5 power built Briggs and Stratton engine.  I started the mower cut about ten feet and it just cut off.  I have replaced the solenoid switch and the starter, the battery is charged and the spark plug is firing.  It clicks like it wants to start, The fly wheel twitch's like it want to run, but that is it.  Any ideas what is going on, or do I say goodbye to my old friend.

Christ Peace
Daphne Goodwin

If you remove the spark plug, will the starter spin the engine?

Did you dis-connect and clean the battery terminals and cable ends with a wirebrush?  I have fixed a lot of starting issues just by dis-connecting and cleaning the cable ends and battery terminals.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology