Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Lowe Rear Tine Tiller won't start

I've got an old rear tiller with Lowe stamped on the belt cover plate. 5.0 HP engine (chain drive power reverse) model 130292 type 3111 01 code 90102527. Will not turn over: new plug, new air filter, recent oil change. The cables are new & the carb. has been rebuilt. I tilled my garden 3 times successfully, but on my 4th till it stopped after about 3 rows & would not start. 2 hours later I tried again, it started, but stopped again after 3 rows. Now...nothing. I've used carb cleaner, starter fluid, etc. Replaced plugs several time. Nothing.

PS The engine was rebuilt before I got it. Has a history of being hard to start & fouling the spark plug.

Any ideas right off hand?

Do you know what was done to the carburetor?  Some of those carbs can warp over time and cause hard starting.

Will the engine start if you use a squirt bottle with gas to prime the engine?

How much compression does the engine have?  Tiller engines run in a very, very dusty environment and will wear out the rings and valve guides leading to a loss of compression which can make the engine hard to start.  

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology