Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Oil out of exhaust

Question
Hi Eric-

Had to replace the front tire on my Swisher Ride King mower. Instead of tipping it to one side like when changing the blades I made a cradle and tipped it up on the back tires and top of the seat so I could work on the front tire assembly easier. Took the tire off last night and didn't notice anything odd but this afternoon after getting a new tire/tube there was oil all over the floor and it came from the muffler. Other than the obvious of checking the oil what do I need to do before trying to start it again?

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Most likely gasoline entered the engine oil through the carburetor.

If the oil is thins, runny and smells like gas you need to change and re-fill with oil before using the mower.

I would recommend removing the spark plug and turning the engine to remove any oil from the cylinder.

If you fill your full tank and let the mower sit overnight, does the fuel level in the fuel tank decrease?

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones