Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/scotts s2048 (john deer) riding mower won't start

Question
This started happening towards the end of last year's season.  This year, I can't start it at all.

Towards the end of last year, I would turn the ignition and the engine would spin but never start.  I tried for several minutes.  If I left the mower for 30 min or so, then I could start it.  It's as if it was flooded.

However, it started doing this every week.  Can the mower be flooded when starting it cold?  It would spin and spin when cold starting, so I guess that could flood the engine if fuel is going in but it won't start.

This season, I have not been able to start it at all.  It still spins but won't start.  I replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump in case it wasn't getting enough fuel, but it didn't sound like that was the problem.  After putting the new filter on, I could see fuel flow through it as I tried to start it so I think the pump is ok (which it should be since it's new).

I pulled the spark plug out and watched it spark as I turned the ignition so that seems ok too.

I'm just guessing now and am not sure what to try replacing next.

Answer
Does you carburetor have a fuel shut-off solenoid on it?

Did you drain and refill the fuel tank with fresh fuel less than 2 months old?

You could have old fuel causing the problem or the fuel shut-off solenoid might not be working.

Will the engine start if you prime the engine with FRESH gasoline by squirting fuel into the carburetor?  Just remove the air filter to squirt fuel into the carburetor...just use a SMALL primer bottle with just a LITTLE fuel in it to reduce the chance of a fire if the engine was to backfire.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones