Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Carburetor Problem

Hi Eric, I have a push mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine model 122K02 0623 E1, code 061013FA. I removed the carburetor and disassembled it. I removed the seat by screwing a screw into the seat and pulling it out. I put in a new seat, ridge side down, and went around it with the blunt end of a drill bit. I also used a new needle that came with the seat. I cleaned the bottom jet with a straightened paper clip through the bottom holes and a small piece of wire from a wire brush through the top of the seat. I made sure to clean all holes in the carburetor and blow them out with compressed air before reassembly. I didn't remove any of the welch plugs. I reassembled it and bolted it back on the engine. I sprayed starting fluid into the carb to get it going. The problem is, it just goes dead after burning the starting fluid. I then tried another float to no avail. I just rebuilt a friend's carb just like this one, and did the same things and his runs perfect. I am at a loss as to what could be wrong. I even put the carb on another engine and it did the same thing. Could I have screwed the screw into the seat to far and damaged the carb to cause this? The bowl nut-jet gasket look pretty ragged but it doesn't leak gasoline. I saw a youtube video where the bowl gasket was to thick and wouldn't let the gasoline through the lower part of the jet. Could this be a possibility? If you could shed some light on what I need to do, I will sincerely appreciate it. Also, are those aftermarket replacement carburetors any good, in your opinion, that I see on for $15 or $16? Thanks again for your time and expertise.  Stephen

Does it do the same thing if the gas tank carb is loosened?  Is the o-ring and intake tube loose or warped?

You stated you repaired a friends mower and it worked fine.  Can you borrow the know good carb and install on your engine to see if the know good carb works on your engine?

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology