Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Craftsman 24 Hsp 42 inch Model 247.28980

Question
I have a Craftsman Model 247.28980. I originally had a carburetor solenoid problem. I replaced that. I pulled the tractor up on ramps to get it up higher to replace the solenoid, it went fine. When I took it off the ramps and cranked it, engine ran fine. Now the hydrostatic transmission just whines and wont move the tractor. I set the brake when I pulled it up on the ramps and released it when I took it off. It's like the brake didn't release! I took off the rear right wheel and it looks like everything is connected properly, but not knowing how it is supposed to look I am not sure. I have pressed the brake several times very hard in an attempt to get it to release, but with no success. Any ideas?

Answer
Your hydrostatic transaxle is an MTD part number 918-0319.

Is the by-pass rod dis-engaged?

The URL below is describes some common problems associated with your transaxle:

http://support.mtdproducts.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10100/~/hydrostatic-drive

Your transaxle should be a Hydro-gear unit.  Here is the hydro-gear service manual URL:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hydro-gear.com%2Fmain%2Fdocs%2Fservice-repair-manuals%2F310-0510.pdf&ei=xMZOVfq9NdP4yQSv7YCQDQ&usg=AFQjCNFIdQoSTn7Sz5FUWlUDGgPJm5YkHg&sig2=qW3GE9Y8koB5XvEC0A0XVw&bvm=bv.92885102,d.aWw

I would start with the easy items, by-pass rod, brake adjustment and then proceed to the more challenging services.  Make sure the brake is not causing the problem.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones