Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/John Deere 212 won't start

Question
QUESTION: I was mowing with my John Deere 212 lawn tractor and it idled down and stopped running. No spitting or sputtering, just quit. It turns over, has spark, and I disconnected the gas line, dumped the gas out of the line thinking it was blocked but when I put it back together tried to start it, it sort of puffed, or back fired through the carburetor once but just turned over and didn't start. I checked the line again and there was gas in it up to the carburetor. Could this mower have a brake safety switch that went bad? After it quit running, I drifted it back down to my garage and discovered I had no brakes. Now when I apply the brake it goes down very easily and I hear a clank like it is hitting the metal under the seat area or the metal frame. If there is a switch there do I have to replace it or can I just disconnect it?

ANSWER: There is usually a switch on the clutch/brake.  If you had no brakes is the brake/clutch rod break or come loose?

Eric

QUESTION: A loose brake/clutch is a very good possibility because applying the brake is so much different now than before and I cannot push it down far enough to lock it down. I will have to check it out today. Hopefully I can tighten it instead of replacing a part for it

Answer
Does your mower have the Peerless 2300 transaxle?

If so, here is the service manual URL:

http://www.wfmfiles.com/download/Tecumseh-Peerless_Motion_Drive_System_-_Transmi

If the URL does not work just Google "Peerless motion drive pdf" and you will find the manual.

Based on your description of the problem, I would look for some mechanical, like a connecting link or rod, that may have broke or came loose.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones