Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Removing recoil start

Question
QUESTION: Hi Eric-

Wrote to you a few weeks ago about my Swisher Ride King mower. I am trying to replace the belts. The bottom one that drives the blades is pretty straight forward. The top one that drives the front gearbox is driven by a pulley on top of the engine under the recoil start.  If I remove the bolts holding the recoil assembley will things "go flying" as they are under the tension from the pull cord or come off without moving and go back on easily?

Also I found the right size belt for the blades but nothing for the belt driving the gearbox. Do you have access to a listing that would tell you what size I need. It is a model A-32B.

Thanks,
Jim

ANSWER: What engine do you have?  I do not believe any of the recoil starter parts will come flying out when you remove the cover.

I am not too sure what the drive belt is as the parts lists does not give a belt size.

Did you see this manual URL?

http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/LawnTractor/Swisher%20A-32%20and%20A-32B%20Rid

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wedophones.com%2FManuals%2FLawnTractor%2FSwisher%2520A-32%2520and%2520A-32B%2520Ride%2520King%2520%26%2520Big%2520Mow%2520-%2520ALL.pdf&ei=g8hOVdmSJYGLsAWDl4Fg&usg=AFQjCNFaROmo61BrW21kcOCCEdqJZPd_Rg&sig2=vxxgyqATn-hME776QiCpqw

Eric

QUESTION: Thanks, this is the manual for my mower. On page 14 is a picture of the top of the engine where the belt runs under the cover for the pull start. It is a 8hp B&S. I found several numbers for belts (mine is a single speed)so I might need to take it off and have it measured at the store.

Thanks,
Jim

Answer
Yeah, you have the right idea, take it off and have it measured since the parts diagram did not provide the link.  Trying to find the length via the part number will be difficult, if not impossible.

I've seen those mowers, just never worked on any of them.

Eric

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones