Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)/Briggs & Stratton Vanguard cuts out

Hi- My power washer starts right up, runs great, then cuts out.Wait a few minutes & it fires right up again, then repeats. Briggs Vanguard model-245432 type-003501 code-96011745- Oil is full and its on level ground. I think it may be the oil sensor module.I want to try bypassing it to troubleshoot. It has two black wires. One goes to a double plug on a wire leading to side of engine.The other wire has a double plug, from which one wire goes to the same spot on the side of engine. This plug also has a red wire going to the on-off switch. I cant really tell where the black wire from the on-off switch goes to without tearing it apart. What I want to know is which wires do I disconnect or connect to bypass oil sensor module. Also is there a wiring diagram for this engine somewhere? Any other ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated-Thanks

First, remove the spark plug.

Next, re-connect the spark plug to the spark plug wire.  Crank the engine and verify you have spark.

If you have spark, the next step is to just dis-connect the oil sensor and verify you still have spark.

What makes you think the oil sensor is bad?  

More likely the carburetor needs to be cleaned.

Small Engines (Lawn Mowers, etc.)

Eric A. Jones

Lawnmower Repair . Certified Master Service Technician from B&S. Have 23 years experience on B&S, Lawn Chief, Weed Eater, Echo, Peerless, Wheel Horse, Snapper, Atlas, MTD, McCulloch, Homelite and many other numerous brands. Specialize in electrical repair.

Born and raised in the midwest. Started tinkering with engines when I was about 14 on my Suzuki RM-80. I began lawn mower repair at a small hardware store. I knew absolutely nothing. I read lots of repair manuals and met an older fellow who taught me many lessons. I continued working on small engines through high school and paid my way through college working on mowers at the same hardware store. Decided to get away from the midwest and mower repair so I joined the Air Force. I repaired air traffic control electronic equipment and ended up in Hawaii where I got a part time job at Small Engine Clinic. I gained a lot of experience from the Small Engine Clinic and had a blast repairing small engines. I then took the Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician test and earned my MST. I then traveled to Wisconsin where I attended the factory update training seminar and received formal training. Continued working on mowers part time as I completed 20 years of military. Retired from the military on a Friday and continued in the lawn and garden industry the next Monday.

MAS Aerospace Operations BA Mathematics AAS Electronic Communications AAS Electronic Technology